Champion cigarette litter prevention
Start in your neighborhood.
Look around. Understand your community’s ethic around the cigarette litter issue. Take a quick assessment:
- Where is cigarette litter impacting the community’s quality-of-life, economy, and neighborhood? Where are the areas of greatest need?
- Find out about local litter laws. Do they exist? Are they enforced? Do they target cigarette litter?
- Identify stakeholders. Seek out individuals or groups in the community who may be motivated to reduce cigarette litter. Start talking to them and share your concerns.
Start a Cigarette Litter Prevention Program. Create a prevention program in your community. It’s doable. It gets results. We’ll show you how:
- Implement a Cigarette Litter Prevention Program. Step-by-step instructions to make it happen.
- Settings for program implementation. Understand the locations where cigarette butt litter is likely to occur.
- Downloadable resources. No need to reinvent the wheel. It’s all here.
My first words to anyone thinking of developing a Cigarette Litter Prevention Program for any roadway are 'do it!'
During 2012, 195 communities implementing a Cigarette Litter Prevention Program reported an average 55% reduction in cigarette butt litter. MORE >>
Over the past six years, the Cigarette Litter Prevention Program has consistently cut cigarette butt litter by half in the first 4-6 months after implementation. Survey results also show that as communities continue to monitor the program, those reductions are sustained or even increased over time. Get sustainability survey results